Tuesday 9 January 2007

Blu-ray v's HD-DVD

This is one of those arguments that pisses me off, Its obvious that Sony isn't backing down due to its failure with betamax, the breakdown of talks between the two camps suggests to me that their primary focus is profit, they don't really care that the consumer doesn't want to arbitrate this fight and doesn't want to have to buy both formats or worst buy the wrong one.
I've said in the past I wouldn't buy anything High-Def until one of these formats became the majority, now I'm thinking I'm not buying either format, I would rather wait for the successor of these formats comes out and the companies learn their lesson.

Do I think it will make a difference,
Yes I do! I personally watch on average less than 10 hours of TV a week, several month ago I bought a hard disk recorder and watch the program I want to watch when I want to watch them, I like crime drama's but am not willing to turn the telle on at 11pm to watch an hours program and goto bed tired, I'd rather rather watch it when my daughter goes to bed and only spend 45 minutes (skipping the adverts) this approach has it's downside as people who record programs for later viewing don't get included in the viewing figures and quite a few popular shows have been cancelled purely because they were shown at times which was inappropriate to the fan base (I'm ranting off subject now!)

Back to the original argument,
These new formats are only expected to be around for a short while until the next generation comes out, so I think I'll wait, cartoons look fine on standard TV anyway.

Who do I think will win?
Besides LG's dual format player,
It looks to me like both formats are backed by different industries, for the most part the movie industry is behind Blu-Ray and the PC industry is backing HD-DVD so my guess is that both formats will stick around but will split off into the two areas I just mentioned, you'll get the new bond film on Blu-Ray but the new Windows will ship on HD-DVD

BBC News - No ceasefire in DVD format battle

No comments: