Saturday 6 October 2007

Free food


So on Friday afternoon I get a call from Jack. He said that he's going out for a meal with some friends in the evening, apparently one of the friends can't go, he did tell me why but I've forgotten. He asked if I would like to go , my reply was "umm..." so he continued that the meal had already been paid for in advance so I would only have to pay for any drinks I had. The fact that I had to pay for my own drinks was a relief that he wasn't trying to ask me out on a date. He told me the name of the restaurant, I've been there before and it's a very nice place, so I told him I'd have to check if my sister would be home to look after Sophie and agreed to call him back in about an hour's time.

Laura has been out every Friday night for the past 6 weeks so I didn't expect that night to be any different, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go out but would have rather had a valid excuse not to go than try and fake it. So I called Laura and said a friend had asked me to join them, I didn't mention it was Jack, unfortunately she had no plans and was more than happy to stay in with Sophie, they like to have a girlie night together sometimes.

I left it an hour and a half before calling Jack, I now had his number since he called me. I told him that I was available that evening, I could hear him grinning down the phone as he told me he was meeting his friends in a bar near the restaurant about 8:30, I began regretting the decision to go even before I hung up.

Because of work I got home late at about 7. I was already stressing as that only left me about an hour and a half to get ready and that's not long for a girl, I had planned to be fashionably late and meet them at 8:45 seeing as it would only take about 15 minutes to get to the restaurant from my place. To my surprise I found clothes and the rest of my stuff already laid out on my bed, knowing I would be stressed about getting home late Laura and Sophie had gone through the trouble getting my stuff ready, which kind of made me a little guilty as I've never done that for Laura.
I climbed into a nice warm bath that was being prepared as I entered the apartment, I lay there and almost fell asleep until Sophie joined me, although I bathe her regularly it's been a while since we've both been in the bath together so it was a nice fun 5 minutes, and we managed to get Laura in the bath too but she was fully dressed at the time, since I was going out I didn't have to clean up either.

The girls had done a good job and had decided on a red theme for me that evening, they picked out a lovely red dress which I hadn't worn in ages but it still fits! with matching underwear (which I wasn't planning on letting anyone see) and a pair of burgundy high heels which went well with the dress, they had also picked out lipstick, makeup and jewelry.

Laura gave me a lift so I only had to walk a short distance to the bar. Seeing everyone else that night I suddenly had a feeling that I was somewhat over dressed but that changed once I met Jack and his friends as they were equally dressed up. There was 6 of us in total, it wasn't anyone I recognised from the reception but they seemed like couples and were slightly confused when I mentioned I was subbing at the last minute for someone else, which if I was a paranoid person would lead me to believe there was no other person.

The meal was lovely, I had a prawn cocktail for starts with scampi salad for main course followed by a beautiful chocolate eclair. The guys disappeared when the coffee arrived, I think they went to pay the bill as I didn't end up paying for any of the drinks I had. The girls were unusually quiet while the guys were away leading me to believe that had been told not to interrogate me, they did ask about the wedding as the way Jack had explained how I became the brides daughter for the day had confused them.

After the meal we went back to the bar we had been in earlier for a few more drinks, it was a lot busier than before. Jack walked me to the taxi rank and kissed me on the cheek before I got in. I got home about 1am to find Laura and Sophie asleep together on the sofa.

I also managed to somehow scratch the screen of my mobile phone, well 3 scratches, dam things!

No comments: