Sunday 2 December 2007

#@*%$!£+ facebook

Before I go on I would like to point out yet another reason I hate social networking sites. As you will be aware from my previous post I have after much reluctance signed up to facebook, well can you imagine how pissed off I was upon reading the news about their advertising practices. Imagine buying an item online, whether it's embarrassing or not, only to then find out facebook has informed everyone. Even after the changes they have made it's still an opt-out system, some of you might like the idea and that's fine, you may say that I have the option to opt-out but why should I have to, even then you opt-out for each site that uses this program. Luckily I haven't been caught out, but if I ever do I will stop using both facebook and the store that informed it what I bought, if anyone from facebook or companies planning to use it is reading is that enough incentive to make it opt-in?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7120916.stm

Apologies to the normal inhabitants of this planet but that really rattled my cage, I was going to continue with my activities for the weekend but I'm not in the mood anymore and need to calm down as I'm now very pissed off.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Worse still, I tried to opt out and couldn't find the place to do it. I don't know if they've already opted me out or if they took one look at my bank balance and decided that it didn't warrant the advertising software anyway.

Jessica said...

This article says a lot for pmt!

From what I read you can't opt out until you trigger the dam thing, and then you have to opt out for each site that's using beacon. How crap is that?

Boy said...

I have to admit, it does sound like the usually safe Facebook boys have dropped the balls on this one. Simple rule? Sign out of Facebook. It sucks, but needs to be done. I hate all this cross-market mumbo jumbo.

David said...

Why is it that we learn this stuff after the fact

Jessica said...

I would be interested to know if emailing faceb00k and telling of my intent to opt out of their stupid scheme is legally enough?

Also I'm starting to think I was in some kind of physco mood when I wrote that post!